Sunday, April 15, 2012

'Tis the season

No - not Christmas!

'Tis the season for Spring! And it sure has sprung here in Connecticut. For me, that means Summer is closer and it's time for Spring cleaning, gardening, fresh fruits and veggies and one of my favorite things - tag sales!

'Tis the season for tag sales!

Since it's a gorgeous day here and we've been on the lookout on Craigslist and some stores for a few things, we came across a few tag sales happening in our area. So, after breakfast, my husband and I loaded the kids into the double stroller, leashed up the pup and off we went for a long walk to the tag sales.

This is where I stumbled upon one of my items I've been wanting for quite some time from the Ballard Designs Catalog - a stair basket.

Image via Google search
I've wanted this for quite sometime. I love the idea since our steps act as a dumping zone at times. I place things on steps that need to go up and down everyday - and I end up making a mess on the stairs which can be a hazard. Since we've been making some changes here at Casa Kirsch, we have been using the stairs much more during the days then before now that the kids are older.  (more on that this week!)

So, one of these would be perfect for me to load up and bring back down - and up and down - or to simply contain my stair mess ;)

I love Ballard, but it's $45 and not something that's at the top of the priority list.

Back to the story of the coveted stair basket. :)

As we approached the house of the tag sale, I did the once over as we got closer to see what I could see - and just as I began to feel a slight sense of disappointment when my eyes fell on nothing that struck me - suddenly, I saw IT.

My tag sale score - cleaned and happily awaiting
to be filled with stuff!
All of a sudden,  I gasped and squealed all at once and said quietly to my husband "They have a stair basket!" so that no one else would spot my treasure.

I snatched it and frantically looked for a price.
No price.

So I walked over to the woman who was busy with another tag sale attendee and waited patiently to find out the asking price on my fab find.

After waiting for what seemed like a small eternity, I calmly asked "How much?" and she thought for a second and I started guessing what she might say.  I figured at least $10-15.

"Um, a $1.50?" she replied in a questioning tone as if it was too much to ask.  I think the look of delight on my face may have been making her question it.  Quickly, I called back to my husband and the kids and said "Give me two bucks!" and then happily handed both dollars to the woman. She went to reach for change to give me back and I shook my head.  I already felt like I was stealing this away from her despite the fact she clearly didn't want it.

It's true - one person's trash is totally my treasure!

The only downside was we then had to walk around the rest of our long walk with the stair basket clearly on display across the canopies of the double stroller - but I didn't care.  I was super excited.

It's the little things, remember?

While my tag sale find lacks the front slot to easily grab it and some of the other organizational features the Ballard basket has, I couldn't care one bit! It did come with two built in hook eye holes that I could easily tie some string or attach a strap to if need be.

But after lugging around two kids - what's the hassle of my pretty little step basket? Pshhhh.

Do you love tag sales?  What's been some of your biggest finds?

No comments:

Post a Comment